(SSCBA 1992, s. 15)

(Direct Tax Reporter: ¶1017-650ff.)

Self-employed people whose profits or gains are over a certain amount have to pay Class 4 contributions as well as Class 2 contributions. These contributions are earnings-related and paid at a main rate on trading profits (earnings) between the lower and upper annual limits (which are the same as the Class 1 earnings threshold and upper earnings limit), with an additional 2% on profits above the upper limit since 6 April 2011.

Rate on profits between upper and lower limits

Annual lower profits limit(1)

Annual upper profits limit

Rate on profits in excess of upper limit

Maximum contribution

Tax year


Need help? Get subscribed!

To subscribe to this content, simply call 0800 231 5199

We can create a package that’s catered to your individual needs.

Or book a demo to see this product in action.