(CAA 2001, s. 3; TMA 1970, s. 43(1); FA 1998, Sch. 18, para. 54-60, 78-83ZA)

(In-Depth: ¶235-050)

Capital allowances must be claimed in a tax return. However, the rules for claims outside a return for income tax (TMA 1970, s. 42) apply in certain instances:

special leasing plant and machinery allowance claims;

claims for patent allowances on non-trading expenditure (in income tax cases).


Time limit


Certain plant and machinery treated as ‘short life’ assets (income tax elections)

Need help? Get subscribed!

To subscribe to this content, simply call 0800 231 5199

We can create a package that’s catered to your individual needs.

Or book a demo to see this product in action.