The Housing and Regeneration Act 2008 provided for ‘relevant housing providers’ to replace ‘registered social landlords’ (RSLs) in England (not Wales). This took effect from 1 April 2010, and ‘relevant housing provider’ means:

a non-profit registered provider of social housing or

a registered social landlord

(s. 71(1A)).

Existing RSLs are mainly housing associations and are ‘not-for-profit’ organisations. These continue as non-profit registered providers, but profit-making registered providers are also now permitted, as a result of a new provision inserted by Finance Act 2009.

Want to read more?

This content requires a Croner-i Tax and Accounting subscription.

No subscription?

Contact us to discuss your requirements.