There is one apparent exception to the ineffectiveness of foreign grants. In a proper case, the court may authorise personal representatives duly appointed here to pay over to a foreign administrator79 or may refuse to authorise it.80

In some circumstances, personal representatives in England and Wales may make such payment without an order of the court, however, to protect themselves it is generally sensible to obtain the court’s authority prior to any distribution to a foreign personal representative. This is a complex area and specialist advice should be sought whenever a UK personal representative is dealing with the estate of a foreign deceased.

Need help? Get subscribed!

To subscribe to this content, simply call 0800 231 5199

We can create a package that’s catered to your individual needs.

Or book a demo to see this product in action.