An informal request will normally be made for information before HMRC considers issuing a formal notice. If the informal request does not allow sufficient time, the practitioner can request an extension. It should be noted, however, that if the officer does not consider that there is a good reason for such a request, they may issue a formal notice as soon as the time limit in the informal request has expired.

Want to read more?

This content requires a Croner-i Tax and Accounting subscription.

Existing subscriber? Log in

No subscription?

Contact us to discuss your requirements.