Capital allowances are available to property businesses under CAA 2001, s. 15 but for ordinary property businesses are restricted from applying to expenditure ‘in a dwelling-house’ by CAA 2001, s. 35. No such restriction applies to FHLs that meet the qualifying criteria. However, if the qualifying criteria are not met, then the restriction would apply, so the meaning of dwelling-house is potentially of great significance if a property does not, or ceases to, qualify for any reason.

Want to read more?

This content requires a Croner-i Tax and Accounting subscription.

Existing subscriber? Log in

No subscription?

Contact us to discuss your requirements.