Generally, if the trading entity changes, the new entity is allocated a fresh registration number. However, a registration can continue when a business is transferred as a ‘going concern’ (a TOGC) from one taxable person to another (VATA 1994, s. 49(2) and (3)).

If a business is transferred as a going concern, and the registration of the transferor (seller) of the business is to be cancelled, an application may be made on Form VAT 68 by both the transferor and the transferee (purchaser) for the transferee to take over the registration number of the transferor (Value Added Tax Regulations 1995 (SI 1995/2518), reg. 6(1)).

Need help? Get subscribed!

To subscribe to this content, simply call 0800 231 5199

We can create a package that’s catered to your individual needs.

Or book a demo to see this product in action.