For rent-a-room relief to apply, the accommodation being let must be, for some or all of the relevant income period, part of the taxpayer’s only or main residence. There is no requirement that the taxpayer should actually own the residence; he need only occupy it (as his only or main residence) for some part of the ‘income period’.

(ITTOIA 2005, s. 786(1)).

Want to read more?

This content requires a Croner-i Tax and Accounting subscription.

Existing subscriber? Log in

No subscription?

Contact us to discuss your requirements.