The rules governing the tax reduction for married couples and civil partners where the union took place on or after 5 December 2005 are identical to those applying to married couples who married before that date (see ¶156-025) except that the entitlement to claim the allowance vests with the spouse or partner with the higher income.

The allowance is available where:

the individual is married or in a civil partnership and is living with the spouse or civil partner at any time in the tax year;

Need help? Get subscribed!

To subscribe to this content, simply call 0800 231 5199

We can create a package that’s catered to your individual needs.

Or book a demo to see this product in action.